built-in GET_FILE_NAME does NOT open dialog window

From: Omid Golban <ogolban_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:16:18 GMT

Forms 9i: (9.0.2.7.0)
I'm having problem with the built-in GET_FILE_NAME. The following code compiles just fine without errors:

    v_filename := get_file_name ();
    :my_block.my_text := '-'||v_filename||'-';

I expect this to open a dialog window allowing me to choose a file. I don't get any dialog window.
When I run my form & execute the above code, the text box item gets the value '--'. I put the dashes around v_filename to distinguish spaces if there are any. I tried putting a break-point before this line & clicked on 'Step Into' button. Each line is executed once. There are no errors. get_file_name just returns a null. But no dialog window.

I have checked out the helps. This built-in takes in 6 arguments:

    directory_name VARCHAR2 -> default: NULL     file_name VARCHAR2 -> default: NULL     file_filter VARCHAR2 -> default: NULL     message VARCHAR2 -> default: NULL     dialog_type NUMBER -> default: OPEN_FILE     select_file BOOLEAN -> default: TRUE

I'm puzzled why this window is not coming up. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance,
Omid Received on Mon Feb 17 2003 - 20:16:18 CET

Original text of this message