Re: Oracle DB via Access - Still C/S?

From: Tim Marshall <tmarshal_at_morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:27:27 -0330

Larry Linson wrote:

> Yes. The described problem is easily avoided by defining Views on the server
> DB or by using passthrough.

I came to the same conclusion you presented in one of your on line presentations I looked at a number of years ago...Access table links to Oracle via ODBC are fine for a few joins, but after that, performance degrades terribly and often times, data is lost. The wonderful thing about passthroughs is that, in my experience, they are just as fast as using SQL Plus and you can link them to Access/Jet tables with no difficulty whatsoever.

But on views and using them in Access... I realise one can access a view via passthrough queries, but is it possible to link to a view in a means similar to linking tables? I had come to the conclusion it was not, but I can't remember how I arrived at that....

--
Tim - http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
 ^o<