Re: Oracle DB via Access - Still C/S?

From: Steve Jorgensen <nospam_at_nospam.nospam>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:16:59 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:09:02 -0330, Tim Marshall <Sabot_at_Spam.On> wrote:

>Crossposted to comp.databases.ms-access and comp.databases.oracle.tools
>
>I do plenty of apps with Access as the application and Oracle as the
>database using ODBC and Access SQL against linked Oracle tables as well
>as Access pass through queries (using Oracle SQL against the ODBC DSN).
>
>Is such an arrangement still considered to be a client server
>application? This question may belie my uncertainty about the exact
>definitions of a client server application (what I believe most of the
>Omnis/Oracle, Powerbuilder/Oracle I am familiar with are) versus a file
>server app.
>
>Thanks in advance for any comments on this subject. I apologise for the
>cross post, but felt the question was relevant to both groups.

The conventional definition of C/S with regard to database applications refers to the fact that there is a database server process running on the request of a client application. Oracle vertainly is a database server! Therefore, using Access as a ffront-end to Oracle is unquestionably C/S. Received on Fri Feb 14 2003 - 23:16:59 CET

Original text of this message