Re: cannot connect to a new Oracle9i Lite db

From: Owen Murphy <owen_at_owenm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:08:56 -0000

I figured this out in the end - so for anyone else, here what's happening.

My confusion came from the fact that "polite" is both the name of the default database, and the name of a connection subprotocol. To connect to the database "mylite" using msql over a Native Driver Connection, use: "msql user/password_at_jdbc:polite:mylite"

"odbc" can be used in place of "jdbc" in the url syntax. Here "polite" refers to a subprotocol, not to any database.

However, why the following syntax works to connect to the polite database I'm not sure:
"msql user/password_at_polite"

Also, anyone else starting to work with Oracle9i Lite should realise that the documented info is not always where you'd expect it to be. For example, while I'm working with Win32 only, there was info on msql I found in "Developer's Guide for Web-to-Go" that wasn't in "Developer's Guide for Win32".

cheers,
Owen.