Re: Forms: Pushbuttons and typing the Enter key

From: Rolf Unger <rolf.unger_at_ctilabs.de>
Date: 10 Feb 2003 11:02:45 -0800

rolf.unger_at_ctilabs.de (Rolf Unger) wrote in message news:<32fe19ad.0302041250.6e08de0a_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a simple one block canvas:
> One text field and two pushbuttons [ Ok ] and [ Cancel ].
>
> Now I wonder why Forms 5.0 behaves so strange.
>
> I input some text into the text field, press the tab key to navigate to
> [ Ok ], Ok-Button has the focus now, so in any other Windows-Application I
> would expect, that I can hit [return] and "A-Button-is-clicked" message is
> send to the application. But not in FORMS! I have to grab the mouse and
> click on the Ok-Button to do the job.

Arrgh, I figured it out ...
All my triggers were WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK triggers for the push buttons and not WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED triggers.

And to be fair I have to admit, that it is noted in the Dev2000 Help docs. But still if you jump as a Forms novice on a running project to maintain the code of somebody else you just don't suspect that WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK is terribly wrong. And what's more, it was used for nearly all buttons.

So here is my point: Why is Oracle*Forms such a sucking Copy'n'Paste Tool?! You cannot re-use blocks on several canvases ... because if you do, they will not initialise properly. So you start Cut'n'Pasting ... because it's so simple and handy and you start spreading logical errors.

Or Visual attributes for prompts? In my Forms 5.0 they appear different in the Form Builder and in the Form-Runtime (On the same computer, so i do not miss any fonts and the like)!

I'm done, Rolf. Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 20:02:45 CET

Original text of this message