Re: help

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:24:08 -0000

[Quoted] "Richard Nield" <richard.nield_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:ugx1a.1372$mH4.975_at_newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net...
> Thanks. Is this something our DBA should have made us aware of?

I personally think that that is a tough call, DBMS_STATS is the currently recommended way of collecting optimiser stats, and certainly if you have large databases with high availability/performance requirements is likely the best way to go. It does have its downsides though, (like causing ORA-00600 errors for us in both 8.1.7 and 9.2). I do think that your DBA should have been aware of the package though and actively considered it.

As far as Dan's comment about requiring DBMS_STATS in order to work with new features, I'm fairly sure that this is incorrect. You *do* require the CBO for some features - theres a list in the docs - but as far as I know analyze will compute stats for these as well. The big adavantages it seems to me are those that Sybrand listed.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA