Re: Utl_file.

From: bill turner <510048981350-0001NoNoNo_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:37:14 +0100

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 13:06:53 +0100, Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote:

>bill turner wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 06:35:25 +0100, Sybrand Bakker
>> <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>>>Utl_file can't work with files on a client as it is running on the
>>>server
>>>

>>>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>>>
>>>To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
>>
>> I have a similar problem as the original poster. I did some research.
>> From what I read in the Oracle documenation, it is possible to use
>> UTL_FILE on the client side. Unless I completely misinterpreted what
>> was being said, you could use the funciton on both server and client
>> side. For the the server side, however, an entry was required in
>> init.ora (or some such thing). Since this is Sunday, and I do not have
>> the documentation with, I cannot quote from it. I did read this in
>> both the PL/SQL documentation and Supplied Products (?) documentation.
>> It was exactly for the reason to understand what Oracle meant by
>> client and server side or to get other input as to why I received the
>> "invalid path" error. I DO think I understand what is meant by client
>> side. So, assuming that I did understand the documentation properly,
>> does it mean that some package needs to be installed on the client?
>>
>> bill
>

>Afternoon, Bill.
>
>First of all - the internet is open on SUndays as well ;-)
>And you are right. I salvaged a complete set of paper manuals
>from a previous employer, and there it is. pg 8-16 of the
>PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference; Release 2.3 (A32542-1)
>
>"PL/SQL File I/O is available on both client and server sides.
>However, on the server side, file access is restricted to those
>directories explicitly listed on the accessible directories list,
>which is stored in the Oracle initialization file."
>
>Now - I do not think you can use server side PL/SQL to open
>a client side file. I think you need client side PL/SQL
>-like forms- to perform client side PL/QL file I/O.
>That is not very clearly stated in the above, nor in the
>PL/SQL Application Developer's Guide (that merely states
>UTL_FILE is similar to TEXT_IO, as far as the client side
>is concerned)
>
>Frank

Thanks, Frank. So, I am not as much an idiot as I feared. hahahaha! Well, then, it seems like I would need some product that we probably have not purchased (I am assuming Forms and the like are separate products). Sadly, I have tried to find an answer on the Oracle site, but just found it difficult to get what I was after and gave up. I sure would like to know what the truth is, though, even if I can't use it. hmmmm...

Bill Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 08:37:14 CET

Original text of this message