Re: Utl_file.

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 08:56:54 -0800

bill turner wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 06:35:25 +0100, Sybrand Bakker
> <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 22:33:22 +0000, Alexxx12
> ><member14441_at_dbforums.com> wrote:
> >

> >>The path is correct. Why am I getting this error??
> >

> >Utl_file can't work with files on a client as it is running on the
> >server
> >

> >Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> >To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
> I have a similar problem as the original poster. I did some research.
> From what I read in the Oracle documenation, it is possible to use
> UTL_FILE on the client side. Unless I completely misinterpreted what
> was being said, you could use the funciton on both server and client
> side. For the the server side, however, an entry was required in
> init.ora (or some such thing). Since this is Sunday, and I do not have
> the documentation with, I cannot quote from it. I did read this in
> both the PL/SQL documentation and Supplied Products (?) documentation.
> It was exactly for the reason to understand what Oracle meant by
> client and server side or to get other input as to why I received the
> "invalid path" error. I DO think I understand what is meant by client
> side. So, assuming that I did understand the documentation properly,
> does it mean that some package needs to be installed on the client?
>
> bill

UTL_FILE is only server side. You can dump data to the client ... but not using UTL_FILE.

Probably the only possible exception would be if you mapped the client to look like a drive on the server. Something I would not advise.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Feb 09 2003 - 17:56:54 CET

Original text of this message