Forms Migration 5->6i and Object References

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:56:17 +0100

Hello,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I would like to know if somebody in this group has some experience in Oracle Forms
[Quoted] Migration from 5 to 6i ("why not to 9i" is not the subject here).

Due to my information, basically it is just recompiling in 6i. So far so good.

But my problem is, that there are decisive differences between 5 and 6i in handling Object References.

We hav an Inhouse App consisting of 1 menu, approx. 100 Forms and 500 Reports.
Many of them are referencing reusable objects, layouts and PUs like
"P_ErrorMessage" or "P_Alert"

that have been put in a form "Refapp.fmb". In Forms 5, Others Forms are referencing
this form.

In 6i, Objects are referenced in Object Libraries *.olb.

When I try to open any old form in 6i, I always get error messages from
"refapp",

and when opening a Canvas, I can see the mess: any layout properties coming from refapp are lost, so that input items are of height zero and so forth.

My question is:

When You have older Forms References like this, what would be the way
to migrate them to 6i ?

I do not know of any Oracle Developer functionality that could convert a refapp form into an object library.

And: yes I did read manuals and groups (during months, cant remember when I started...)
But I only found tips to use third party conversion tools ... But ther ought to be a way inside of Oracle ?

Any comments greatfully appreciated

tia

Jan Received on Fri Feb 07 2003 - 10:56:17 CET

Original text of this message