Re: TKPROF, EXPLAIN, VALIDATE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:13:58 -0800

Salim Harouat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an Oracle 8i Professional Edition v.8.1.7.4.0
> and i want to use TKPROF, EXPLAIN, VALIDATE tools in
> order to test some queries performance. The problem
> is that i don't find this tools in the directory
> where Oracle is installed (i made a large search
> in my hard disk without results). Can somebody tell
> me where i can find this tools ?
>
> Thank u for everything
>
> --

My suspicion is that you don't know what you are looking for. TKPROF is the tkprof executable in $ORACLE_HOME/bin. If it isn't there you don't have Oracle properly installed and need to reinstall ... you are looking at the server and not the client? Right?

EXPLAIN PLAN is not something you can "search for". It is inside the database and accessible via SQL*Plus. To create the plan table you must run the script utlxplan located at $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin.

[Quoted] Validate? What's VALIDATE?

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Jan 30 2003 - 17:13:58 CET

Original text of this message