Throwing this out there for discussion

From: Tom Swier <tswier_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2003 11:30:43 -0800

[Quoted] This is the scenario:

[Quoted] [Quoted] You walk into a company that has an 8i (8.1.7) database running on [Quoted] UNIX. There is no documentation for the database, i.e., there is absolutely no documentation that tells what the applications that hit the database are doing, when they do it, or how they do it. You don't have access to the application source code (written in C) to figure out what the applications are doing. Users access the database with these applications from client workstations running Win2K. The company won't pay to buy ERWin or any other tool so you can reverse-engineer the database. How do you figure out what is going on so you can generate adhoc reports and do updates on the database like the applications do, but using SQL and PL/SQL?

[Quoted] I had a person ask me this and I stood there like an idiot because I couldn't answer their question due to all the foot-shuffling and hemming and hawing. I thought I had it bad!

Tom Received on Mon Jan 27 2003 - 20:30:43 CET

Original text of this message