import error 1461 with oracle 8.1.6

From: Samuel Tribehou <s.tribehou_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:27:39 +0100

[Quoted] First sorry for the crosspost, but i'm really in a hurry and I don't really know which groups this post belongs to, since I don't know what the problem is...

What I'm trying to do is simply to export/import a database from 8.1.6/NT4 to 8.1.6/AIX. The problem is, the dump file works fine if I reimport on the NT database, but it will fail with error 1461 on AIX. Our client (whom the AIX system belongs to) says he already imported similar dumps with no problems ( made with NT4/8.1.6, and with similar data (i.e it is for
the same application, so there are alot of fields which are identical))

Here is what happens :

--
[bidon_at_oracle]-/home/oracle-> import file=file.dmp  fromuser=dgos
touser=dgos tables=vc_generic_operations;

Import: Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production on Tue Jan 21 12:31:47 2003

(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Connected to: Oracle8i Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production
JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production

Export file created by EXPORT:V08.01.06 via conventional path
import done in WE8ISO8859P1 character set and UTF8 NCHAR character set
import server uses UTF8 character set (possible charset conversion)
export server uses WE8ISO8859P1 NCHAR character set (possible ncharset
conversion)
. importing DGOS's objects into DGOS
. . importing table        "VC_GENERIC_OPERATIONS"
IMP-00058: ORACLE error 1461 encountered
ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column
IMP-00028: partial import of previous table rolled back: 1768 rows rolled
back
About to enable constraints...
Import terminated successfully with warnings.
--

The values which import hangs on are varchar2(4000), not longs. I believe
the size is causing a problem here. Most fields in this tables are really

So since I couldn't find a way to get this working, I decided to make a new
dump with no data
in the tables which cause problems, then create an acsii script which would
fill the tables...
No luck there too. I have an ORA-01489  error when I try to create the
script :

> select filed1||','||field2 from vc_generic_operations;
ORA-01489: result of string concatenation is too long Anyone knows a way to get around any of those problems ? Please try to be precise in your answers, I'm not an Oracle expert..