Re: Converting Designer ER diagram to DDL

From: Hilary Band <hband_at_csc.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2003 08:29:26 -0800

i.b.kerr_at_leeds.ac.uk (IKerr) wrote in message news:<83462b5a.0301200222.2a1997d_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I have done an ER diagram with Oracle 9i Designer and now want to
> transform it into a database - ie get oracle to generate the DDL for
> me. How can I do this ? I have looked at the Database Design
> Transformer and Design Editor (don't know what the difference between
> them is), but I am a bit lost. Could someone help please.

Use the Database Design Transformer to transform your entity model into tables. When the run is complete, go into the Design editor and look on the Server Model tab. There you will see the resulting tables. At this point you can edit the various things such as column names (Designer generated ones tend to have very awkward names!), various object properties etc.

Once you have these tables you should create a database on the DB Admin tab and in that database create the user that you want to own the tables. You then need to create table implementations for that user. Open the user, schema objects, table implementation and click on the green cross.

> Also does Oracle provide an intermediate step so that changes to the
> DDL can be made between Designer & DDL output (ie to tweak the design
> / change keys & entities etc), or do you have to do all that in
> Designer ? I posted this on another group, but it seems to have got
> buried at the bottom of an un-related thread!

You can generate the DDL to script files which you can then edit as you wish.

> Another question. I have some sub & supertypes in the ER diagram.
> Should I specify the PK & FK in the diagram before conversion ? If so
> how do I specify the FK (I can only see tickboxes for PK) ?

The FKs will be picked up and generated from your entity model - this is where the awkwardly named columns comes in!

HTH H Received on Mon Jan 20 2003 - 17:29:26 CET

Original text of this message