Re: DB Instance Invisible in Oracle Management Server

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 07:01:49 +1100

Have you used the Navigate - Discover Node tool? (Can't remember the specific name off the top of my head right now, but it's close to that).

Although it says 'discover nodes', it actually discovers the databases on a specified node.

That tool only works if the Intelligent Agent on your box is running, too.

Oh, and the intelligent agent needs to have worked out what was created on the box: you may need to stop and re-start the agent service to get it to pick up on recently-created databases. You can always look in ORACLE_HOME\network\agent at a file called services.ora. If that mentions your three databases, then the agent is aware of them. And if the agent is aware of them, then a 'discover nodes' in OEM will get them listed.

Things get more interesting when your agent doesn't discover things, but I'll leave that for another day. Except to say that the agent finds out [Quoted] about things by parsing the listener.ora, and specifically looking for an explicit SID_LIST in the init.ora. If (unfortunately) you are relying *only* on dynamic instance regsitration with the Listener, then the agent won't discover what is running, services.ora won't list your databases, and 'discover nodes' will turn up empty-handed.

Regards