Re: Developer 2000 Web - Launching Excel

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 17 Jan 2003 06:56:05 -0800

roshan.bhat_at_in.bosch.com (Roshan) wrote in message news:<362b22ed.0301080615.d2f1a16_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello!
>
> I have an application made in Oracle Forms (Forms 6i) in client-server
> environment. This launches excel using DDE. When i try to run the same
> on the web, i get an error. I suppose it is not possible to use DDE on
> the web. We use 9iAS for our intranet application. Is there any work
> around so that the user gets to see the data on the excel sheet even
> while using the intranet?
>
> Regards,
> Roshan Bhat.

I did this last year. There are a few notes on metalink you have to put together, unfortunately noone takes you all the way through.

  1. When you use DDE over the web you are accessing the application server. You cannot access the clients PC for any reason. Oracle uses a java implementation and java does not allow you to access a users Hard Drive. Has to be done or you can write a virus stick it in a webpage, someone goes to page, you reformat their hard drive.
  2. So... export your delimited file to a folder on your application server. Use DDE to call Excel on your application server. Use the command web.show_document to display it to the user.
  3. User must have excel on their PC. User can then choose to save it locally.

Biggest problems I had where were running their 9iAS and the lack of documentation on it. As I said early you have to piece a few metalink notes together to get it to work. Its not that complicated, but there are several undocumented gothas along the way. Cant remember them offhand :(

This process definitely works. Received on Fri Jan 17 2003 - 15:56:05 CET

Original text of this message