SqlLoader: record delimiter other than newline?

From: Phil Currier <gg.20.pholius_at_spamgourmet.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2003 14:08:25 -0800

Hi,

[Quoted] I'm attempting to load data from flat files in which the data fields can occasionally contain newline (\n) characters. Though I can change the field delimiter, I haven't found a way to change the record delimiter. The "terminated by" and "enclosed by" clauses don't seem to work across newlines; I can't treat the record as multiple records and combine them with CONCATENATE or CONTINUEIF since there can be arbitrary numbers of newlines in a given field, with no clear way to identify them from the rest of the record.

Does anyone know a good way to change sqlldr's idea of the record delimiter? Is there a way to "escape" characters in a datafile? My current workaround kludge is to replace the embedded newlines with a nonprinting character in each file, load the records, then use replace() to update the fields afterwards. However, I'd rather get sqlldr to be a little smarter. If it matters, I'm running on Sun using 8.1.7.

Thanks,
Phil Received on Thu Jan 16 2003 - 23:08:25 CET

Original text of this message