Re: 9i Hot Backup Script

From: frank pantaleo <moles_at_frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:10:52 -0500

Matthew,

The dbf files can be replaced by the utility.

The real question is archive logs. Generally you set up some other script to purge archive logs at some age that is appropriate. Sometimes anything older than 24 hours (to delete) is enough and sometimes not. This needs to be determined by when you do tape backups on system. Also to some extent it is based on usage of the db (OLTP, Warehouse, etc). If your db is OLTP and you do nightly differentials that include the files genned with a hotbackup (and archives) then 24 hours is a good answer. If you only do hotbackups once a week than you probably want to keep your archives longer. I would suggest to pick up a book on Backup/Recovery for Oracle to give you some ideas about what you can run into.

ALSO. Make sure that you test a recovery of the instance (on another server - same architecture) !

Remember "Trust but Verify".

I have also been working today on adding the Parallelize pm that is available on cpan to backup all files related to a given tablespace in parallel. At first look results look promising.

I will drop you a line after I have done some more testing if you would like.

Take care
Frank P.