Re: The best performance tools??

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:39:51 -0800

Ivan Oss wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this newsgroup. I've been an Oracle DBA for 7 years and currently
> manage a small database team, so maybe I can contribute. Hopefully I'm not
> starting off to heavy for anybody, but I'm already on a mission.
>
> I'm looking for the best-of-breed tools for SQL tuning, RDBMS tuning,
> storage tuning... whatever. I don't care if the vendor is a fly-by-night or
> a market leader with a comprehensive product suite. If you have experience
> with a tool you think is good, I'd like to hear from you.
>
> I'll compile a full list based on the responses I get and post it. Lets
> hear your votes!

For SQL tuning I've yet to find anything better than the combination of Explain [Quoted] Plan and TKProf. Maybe I'm wrong but my impression of the "tools" out there is [Quoted] that all they are is a wrap of a GUI around the functionality already in the database.

[Quoted] For tuning procedures, packages, and functions I've yet to see anything that [Quoted] does as well as DBMS_PROFILER. Once again a built-in that costs no money and [Quoted] Tom Kyte has an excellent write-up on it in his book "Expert one-on-one Oracle".

Storage tuning? I'm not sure to what you are referring? If you mean running out [Quoted] of space ... a combination of DBMS_JOB, a proc, and UTL_SMTP will do anything [Quoted] required. If you are talking about I/O that really needs to be done in the operating system and the best-of-breed tool is operating system dependent.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jan 14 2003 - 18:39:51 CET

Original text of this message