forms 6 intermittently getting ora-3113 at cursor using db link

From: tom.ferguson <member22351_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:59:51 +0000

[Quoted] Has anyone ever come across the scenario described below. It is giving me great headaches and I have reached the limit of my Oracle knowledge.

SCENARIO

I have two Oracle 8.1.7 databases, DB1 and DB2. Both database are on the same Unix server. Each database has only one schema, owned by different users.

DB1 contains table T1 and a public synonym for it.

DB2 has

     a public db link to DB1 using DB1 schema owner as user,
     a public synonym to table T1 on DB1, referencing db link,
     a Table T2 and associated public synonym,
     a View V1 on table T1, which uses the public synonym for T1,
     a public synonym for view V1.

A simple client side form (Forms 6.0.5) contains a cursor which joins V1 and T2. On occassion the Form will fail with an ORA-03113 always at the point of Fetching from the cursor. On other occassions it will succeed. It appears as if the form will only fail immediately after database DB2 has been restarted but with constant re-attempts of the Form, it will eventually succeed.

The TNSNAMES.ORA files have been checked on both the client PC and Server. The TNSNAMES.ORA have been tried with the CONNECT parameter set to use the SID and SERVER_NAME options but appears to make no difference.

There are other forms which contain similar cursors (referencing Views to Tables across a dblink, some using synonyms, some with dblink in the view) that have never had any ora-3113 problems and there is no apparent difference in the structure/syntax.