Re: Oracle Management Server problem !

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 14:05:18 GMT

"chan" <cpchaney_at_netvigator.com> wrote in message news:avrmoi$48b7_at_imsp212.netvigator.com...
> I have just set up an Oracle Management Server in my own Win 2000 Advanced
> Server.
> But once I go into it, it always displays a screen : Discover Wizard and
> asks me for entering a node.
> What does it mean ?
> I have tried the following items :
> (1) The Gobal Database Name of my Oracle database
> (2) The SID of my Oracle database
> (3) The Gobal Database Name of the newly created Respository Database
> (4) The SID of the newly created Respository Database
> (4) The computer name of my Win 2000 Advanced Server
>
> But none of them are correct.
> What is the meaning of 'Node' in the Discover Wizard of Oracle Management
> Server ?

You must enter the name of the machine where OMS is running. This is required because OMS is designed to run in a multi-tier environment. As a matter of fact it can also run on single tier, that is you can install the managed DBs, the OMS repository and the OMS service on the same machine, especially if you are just curious to see what this OMS is about. Before you can successfully sign on to the OMS, using the Superadministrator account (sysman/oem_temp) initially, you must have created a db instance of your own choosing and started it. You must have installed the OMS itself and started it.
You must also have started the Oracle intelligent agent on each of the nodes that you want to manage, only one in your case, even if there are multiple instances at the same time.
Once you have OMS running, you'll learn that a 'node' is any machine where an oracle instance is running.
For that reason, any userid and password that will be requested for accessing a 'node', will probably refer to a windows user, rather than an oracle user, but I could be wrong, the documentation IMHO is not very clear. At that point, you're ready to get stuck with other little problems like user authentication, user rights, local policies and so on.

[Quoted] If you ever manage to submit and execute successfully a batch job using OMS, [Quoted] let me know, I am stuck right there!
:-)

Bye,
Flavio Received on Sun Jan 12 2003 - 15:05:18 CET

Original text of this message