Re: winvnc & oracle

From: Robert Benzinger <r_benzinger_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:41:01 +0100

Glen A Stromquist wrote:
> Anyone using VNC to remotely administer an oracle server? I use it because
> it is about the only thing that will work to do patch installs, etc. from
> my workstation. We have compaq insight monitor which is ok, but extremly
> slow and clunky.
>
> Our network/windows server admin is concerned because he says winvnc is
> spiking the cpu's on the server to >98% at times and he keeps getting
> alarms about it, now he wants to remove it while I'm arguing that they are
> so infrequent it is not affecting that database(s) on the server so leave
> it on.
>
> Anyone else run in to issues with VNC server? As far as I know its about
> the only thing other than pcanywhere that works ok with oracle.
>

> TIA
Hi!

You may want to give TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com) a try. It's much faster than VNC.

If you are satisfied with console mode, have a look at cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com), which is a unix layer over windows. You can run inetd on the server and rlogin from the client to run sqlplus or net start/stop the instance. Besides that, I just can't imagine what I would do without a shell, grep, awk, etc. ;-)

Hth, Rob. Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 09:41:01 CET

Original text of this message