Re: JDeveloper - still not communicatign with SQL Server

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:00:33 +0100

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:02:24 +0000, Ravichandran Mahalingam wrote: f luck with jdeveloper.

Ravi, I don't work for Oracle (any more that is) so I am not attempting to sell you anything.

Here are some fragments of the world as I see them:

    [Quoted]
  1. Borland's product is 2-3 times as expensive as Oracle's
  2. With JDeveloper 903 I really believe that Oracle is getting the hang of a Java tool. It is not Eclipse though, but it has a lot of features I seem to be missing from Eclipse.
  3. For Oracle DB developers, JDeveloper can't be beaten
  4. For non-Oracle DB developers it is no better and no worse than any other Java tool.
  5. So what, if Business Components for Java don't work well with non-Oracle databases? If you deal primarily with non-Oracle, don't use BC4J.
  6. For J2EE stuff I believe JDeveloper is excellent. After all, the database stuff can be done by creating a connection and you will be doing hand coding anyway. They were trailing other vendors on J2EE standards compliance but now they have caught up.
  7. Deployment to most popular platforms is a breeze. Not even necessary since a simple shell script job will deploy any EAR file automatically.
  8. OC4J is built right into the product, so testing is simple. Stopping and starting OC4J is a matter of second(s). Try that with Websphere or WebLogic, by the way.

I don't really see what else you would be using, honestly.

I am not sure what you mean by 'communicating with SQLServer'. There are Java drivers to be had. And you are not suggesting a Microsoft tool to do Java development, right?

Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Thu Jan 09 2003 - 21:00:33 CET

Original text of this message