Re: How to Replicate from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle 9i

From: Ashok Rautela <arautela_at_openlinksw.co.uk>
Date: 9 Jan 2003 08:40:52 -0800

[Quoted] Hi Piter,

[Quoted] I think that you need to look at a couple of issues:

  1. Connectivity between the SQL Server 2000 database and Oracle 9i
  2. Data Replication from SQL Server 2000 database to Oracle 9i database at the scheduled time

Regarding the 1st issue you can look at ODBC connectivity between SQL Server and Oracle 9i i.e. ODBC drivers. I have successfully made connection between SQL Server 2000 and Oracle database using the OpenLink ODBC drivers:

http://www.openlinksw.com

Once the DSN connection is established you can either use the SQL Server DTS (Import/Export data) tool to create a package that will run automatically (with this DSN) to create and replicate data from SQL Server into Oracle. The other alternative is to use the Oracle 9i Heterogeneous Services and 'pull' the data from SQL Server. I must admit that I haven't tried the Oracle Hetergeneous Services to do this though. Regarding the Read only Replication, you can specify this during your package creation.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Ashok Rautela