Generating nested XML with CURSORs and "maximum open cursors" error

From: Mark Meytin <mark_at_meytin.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 00:48:44 -0500

Hello!

I'm using the CURSOR-based method of generating nested XML with XSQL described in Steve Muench's "Building Oracle XML Applications" book and in Oracle XDK documentation. It worked very well for me to get master-detail data (2-3 "details" for each "master") from the database until I reached approximately 100 "master" records. At that point I started getting the following error: <message>ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1 ORA-01000: maximum open [Quoted] cursors exceeded</message>. Is there a way to address this error without increasing a max number of cursors in Oracle's configuration (which is probably not a good idea anyway if there are several simultaneous users)? Would processing grouping in XSL result in reduced performance? I actually like having a nested XML structure, but perhaps there's no good way of keeping it with the amount of data that I have? Any ideas would be appreciated. BTW, I use Oracle 8.1.6 with XDK 9.0.4 (using xsu12_816.jar file). Thanks in advance!

-M- Received on Tue Jan 07 2003 - 06:48:44 CET

Original text of this message