using the same source tree in different projects with JDeveloper 9.0.3

From: Gabriel Belingueres <gaby_at_ieee.org>
Date: 3 Jan 2003 10:12:59 -0800

Hi,

I'm using JDeveloper 9.0.3 for building my app. Since it is a big application involving a 3 tier architecture, using servlets, jsp, EJB and a RDBMS, we divided the application in different modules (or subsystems), and each module divided into components.

We divided the development work by component, so we organized our package name convention as the following:

package com.company.projectname.module1.component1; package com.company.projectname.module1.component2;

package com.company.projectname.module2.component1; package com.company.projectname.module2.component2;

The thing is how to organize our projects inside the IDE.

We are struggling to devise a stragegy to organize the code of our components.

The strategy (which we tried, but by now we're having trouble with) is to have only one workspace with multiple projects. There is a project called "projectname", wich will be used to integrate all the modules of the application. For each module, there is a project called "projectname-modulename" which will be used to integrate all the components of that module. And finally there is a project called
"projectname-modulename-componentname" to develop the component, which will commonly have EJB, and some servlets and jsp pages.

The problem we'are having now with this is that in order to share the same directory structure of the packages we are configuring the Input Path in the project settings (of every project in the workspace) so that all projects points to the root directory of the packages (ie projectname\src).
The problem with this is that jdeveloper is generating both the ejb-jar.xml and orion-ejb-jar.xml files in the projectname\src directory, instead of generating them in their respecting projectname\src\com\company\projectname\module\component directory in which I choose to have the EJB files.

A bad side effect of this configuration is that all the EJBs are declared in the same ejb-jar.xml, which make it show in every project in the workspace and when I build any project, ALL the EJBs are recompiled, which is not what we want.

So the question is:

How can I do share a unique package structure among all projects, yet every project compiles independently of the others?

Is this the only one strategy to organize the source code and projects in the IDE?

Thanks in advance,
Gabriel Received on Fri Jan 03 2003 - 19:12:59 CET

Original text of this message