Oracle newbie - few questions

From: Damir Dezeljin <news_at_dezo.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 17:33:39 +0100

Hi.

[Quoted] [Quoted] I have to produce a simple 'sale system' in Oracle as homework for a course of Information system on my faculty.

While I have a lot of experience with MySQL, C, PHP and other programming langages, I started to 'fight' with Oracle and Oracle forms some days ago ;) Is there anyone who can explain me something:
- First the more important ... is there an online 'quick guide' with
  exercises or something similar on using ORACLE, FORM BUILDER,...?   BTW: I'm using Oracle Developer 6.0?
[Quoted] - The realy basics of TABLESPACEs? This is something new for me and I don't
  understand the explanation from the manual?   Are TABLESPACEs something similar to databases in MySQL and if so, how   can I specify the TABLESPACE in which I will create objects (e.g. tables)?   How are different tablespaces used?
[Quoted] - How can I see what objects I created and what I can access trough my
  account. I already know that I can get some information by issuing:   'SELECT * FROM cat;', but I want some other things like tablespaces,...?
[Quoted] - How can I get a detailed description of tables. With
  'DESCRIBE TABLE <table>;' I only get a basic description - there aren't   mentioned indexes, foreing keys,...?
  Is there a tool (posibly free or with a demo) that I can use to get a   graphical description of tables, integryty relations,... (I used Access   with ODBC drivers to get table descriptions - INDEXES,...)?
[Quoted] - Is there anything similar to 'AUTOINCREMENT' type in other databases (I
  know about SQUENCES, but is this the only thing to use PRIMARY KEY)?
[Quoted] - How can different users have different data in tables of SAME name in
  the TABLESPACE with SAME name?

[Quoted] Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Dezo Received on Thu Jan 02 2003 - 17:33:39 CET

Original text of this message