Re: Button disappears when form run...

From: Smiley <anoniemke888antispam_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 14:57:53 +0100

"pixelmeow" <pixel.meow_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:kua60v49mia7e4ecqmnm45b8b9m44j6bq0_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:48:27 GMT, in comp.databases.oracle.tools,
> Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> scribbled:
>
> >pixelmeow wrote:
> >> Hello, all.
> >>
> >> I am trying to learn Forms 4.5 (on win98se) on Oracle 8.1.5 (on
> >> winnt4) while I work on an application. At the moment, all I have to
> >> do is put two buttons on a form, and make the code that opens another
> >> form when either button is pushed.
> >>
> >> I've got the buttons on the form, and have got some code (that doesn't
> >> work correctly yet) in the triggers, and when I run this form itself I
> >> can see the buttons. But this form is called from the menu of the
> >> main form, and when I run the program that way, I can't see the
> >> buttons (or any other changes I make).
> >>
> >> I don't know what I've done wrong; is there some way to set this up so
> >> that when I run the main form from inside Forms I can be certain it
> >> runs the form I'm editing? I'm saving between running and coding,
> >> have made certain I'm saving to the correct directory on the correct
> >> drive, but am so frustrated...
> >>
> >> TIA...
> >Does the main form simply call your form by name (relative path or a
> >specific path)? Do you know what FORMS45_PATH is set to? Look in the
> >registry (under HKLM\oracle\software\home<n>) or in your local client's
> >environment variables.
>
> The main form has one page that is the logon to the database, another
> page that is just a picture to attach the menu to. The menu is
> another form, and I'm sorry that I don't know enough about this yet to
> tell you how the menu is called, but I do know that the trigger for
> the menu item calls the form I'm editing by name. Not path.
> Specifically, "NAME_CALL_FORM('FORMNAME');". This procedure reads:
>
> PROCEDURE name_call_form(form_name in varchar2) IS
> BEGIN
> call_form(form_name,no_hide,Do_replace);
> END;
>
> I tried renaming this and using No_replace, just to see what would
> happen, and I didn't notice a change.
>
> I also tried cutting the buttons from the block they are on and
> pasting them to other blocks, but I must just not know how to
> manipulate this editor the right way. I was not able to paste them
> anywhere else, the "paste" option was grayed out. I was able to do
> this the other day, and learned about how the block applies the
> multiplicity of the objects on it to *all* the objects on it... (why
> are there suddenly 9 push_buttons???)
>
> I'm also looking around the internet for tutorials, all of which are
> pretty straightforward, but since I'm not building from scratch, I'm
> not sure how to find what I need.
>
> As to the registry, it reflects the Oracle_Home that I've searched
> already for like file names. No luck there, there is no other file
> with this name and I haven't figured out yet how to point the relative
> form name to a particular file.
>
> Thanks for your help so far. :-)
> [...]

[Quoted] If you did a full install of Developer 2000, you should have Oracle Book and the Forms 4.5 Developer's Guide Manual (I believe it's called A32505.obd ( .obd files are Oracle Book Documents you can open with Oracle Book)).

[Quoted] You should also have Getting Started with Forms (A32504.obd), Forms Reference Manual (A32507.obd), Forms Advanced Techniques (A32506.obd) and Forms Messages and Codes (A32508.obd).
If I remember correctly, you can find these files in a subdirectory of ORACLE_HOME\forms45)
Good luck,

Ron Received on Sat Dec 21 2002 - 14:57:53 CET

Original text of this message