Physical backup/recovery between different platforms?

From: Merku <imerku_at_acegas.ts.it>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:36:57 +0100

Hi there,
I am using Oracle V7.3.4.4 on AIX with
datafiles on logical volumes, so running what's called "on raw device" (using the rlv's).

I can perform physical backup and restore/recoveries from AIX onto another AIX.

I wondered, if I could restore/recover onto another OS platform (like Solaris, HP) when using lvm on the destination platform also (having the same Oracle version at hand).
I guess, it's just a question of how big the lvm header info is the OS uses to manage the lvm itself.

Anyone has any experience on this?

Thanks a lot for any comment.

Best Regards,
Igor

mailto:imerku_at_acegas.ts.it
mailto:igor_at_merku.org Received on Thu Dec 12 2002 - 12:36:57 CET

Original text of this message