Re: Performance of Forms PL/SQL vs Database PL/SQL

From: damorgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:45:32 GMT

JAMES FRANCIS DAVIS wrote:

> If we have large PL/SQL functions, is it better to run them in Forms on the application server, or imbed it in the database and call it from the form? I remember when IAS 8i and 9iAS came out, there were some articles on this, but I that was a while ago. If anyone knows where whitepapers, presentations, etc exist on this subject, I would appreciate it.

Always better to put code into the back-end database when possible.

If nothing else it makes the forms leaner and faster loading. In almost all cases it makes the application run more quickly as the back-end server is the stronger piece of hardware and, if the code is used by multiple users, will most likely be in the cache when needed.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Dec 03 2002 - 17:45:32 CET

Original text of this message