Re: Is Oracle Forms worth sticking with anymore

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 21:04:57 +0100

Frank wrote:
> rolospy wrote:
>

>> Are Oracle trying to get people onto JDeveloper rather than Oracle Forms
>> nowadays.
>>
>> Is there a roadmap for Forms anymore.  There must be thousands of
>> companies
>> with applications written using Forms yet I get the impression that
>> it's old
>> hat and Java is what Oracle is pushing now.
>>

> Apart from all the good advice on Java and monitoring Apps
> (eBusiness Suite), Forms is gonna be around for several years
> to come. Only, the CLient Server model is dropped; the latest
> release already supports Web forms only.
> Oracle has not beem very clear on the policy regarding Forms
> and/or Java - they have apologised for that.
> (to me - talk to Oracle Netherlands!)
>
> Grtz, Frank

[Quoted] If you want C/S with forms9i, just make it:

make -f ins_forms.mk f90runm

but it is not supported

A pity though, with what the customer pays, Oracle should easily be able to keep supporting C/S. All the functionality should still be there (the make proves it). Most applications run in-house, don't they? You'd better have a performant network with this web-architecture and the "light" clients.

--

Gerard H. Pille