Re: New to oracle, please help

From: Bert Bear <bertbear_at_NOSPAMbertbear.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:47:51 GMT

John,

There are many facets to Oracle. What are you wanting to learn about Oracle (e.g. end-user, developer, administration, applications, ???) If you are simply wanting to learn about Oracle in general, my suggestion would be "Oracle for Dummies."

I personally have a problem with a book calling someone a dummy. Yet, a co-worker had the book and I was looking through it and thought it would be a good starting point for someone new.

I just wish they didn't use the work Dummies in the title. Maybe uninitiated would be a better word, because computer (or whatever the subject is) requires you to learn and pay your dues (money and physically) (sort of like pledging).

Back to your question, if it is the cost, check the library for the book. Otherwise online, I'd suggest OTN.oracle.com and/or the online documentations, but they are more (IMHO) for those in the know and/or needing reference material. Neither of these sites are a how to use Oracle site.

Again, what is your goal? Is it simply to use Oracle (e.g. sqlplus, sql, and pl/sql) or is it more?

Bertram Moshier
Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA

http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram