Re: Is Oracle Forms worth sticking with anymore

From: damorgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 16:32:44 GMT

rolospy wrote:

> Are Oracle trying to get people onto JDeveloper rather than Oracle Forms
> nowadays.
>
> Is there a roadmap for Forms anymore. There must be thousands of companies
> with applications written using Forms yet I get the impression that it's old
> hat and Java is what Oracle is pushing now.

I've seen nothing definitive indicating Forms is going away and I think Oracle would be foolish to drop the tool.

Application development in Forms is trivial compared with similar development in Java both due to the tools provided and the complexity of the Java language. Much like C ... there are a lot of people hacking around in Java ... but very few that are really any good.

My expectation would be that Forms will survive but perhaps just morph more and more into a RAD tool for Java. We will see. Meanwhile ... I wouldn't get too excited one way or the other. Though a letter to Oracle's marketing department wouldn't hurt.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Nov 29 2002 - 17:32:44 CET

Original text of this message