Re: Is Oracle Forms worth sticking with anymore

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:55:08 +0100

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:mkfeuu8lc89lhalamfsk4t956t4bmosktc_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 09:53:48 +0100, "Jan Gelbrich"
> <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de> wrote:
>
> >and they follow the business rule
> >
> >"never change a running system"
>

> Might be, but they will be soon faced with the problem that their sw
> is fully desupported and as they also likely didn't pay for EAS Oracle
> will leave them out in the cold and refuse to answer the phone, if
> something goes wrong.
> Also, when they finally *must* upgrade, the technology gap is too big
> to perform migration and they might be forced to develop a new app.
> I have one customer running on 7.3.4, Forms 4.5 and Webserver 2.1
> And guess what? This is a *vital* 7x 24 system which simply *can't
> collapse* as *all operations* of that firm will stop! Can't go into
> more details. As far as I am concerned this is just penny wise pound
> foolish.

Hi, Sybrand !

I fully agree with you, I know of similar cases like yours ... it seems to be quite common in the real world :( .

But I think this is just the eternal gap between IT staff (us in this NG) and commercial staff. It is a true dilemma in many industries, not to spend too much on investments
that drive you out of daily business, and not to be too far out of date and risking desupporting.
Things have always two sides ... and I never observed any compromise that satisfied both sides ...

Regards,
Jan Received on Fri Nov 29 2002 - 11:55:08 CET

Original text of this message