Re: Modeling tool

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:06:31 GMT

Tobie Berthon wrote:
> This should be a simple enough question. Can somebody recommend a
> really good modelling tool for creating an Oracle database?
How much money do you want to spend?

Erwin is good. Oracle Designer is good.

We use an unlikely candidate here ... Microsoft Visio for Enterprise Architects (or some such title ... we just call it VEA). We bought it to do office layouts and simple CAD-like stuff. But I found it could also model databases. It can reverse engineer from Oracle, SQL Server, or Sybase. Or you can start from scratch. And it generates the DDL for all three. But Visio Standard and Visio Professional can't ... you need the big-brother version (read "expensive").

I like VEA because it's first and foremost a drawing tool and I can put categories of tables on their own page ... like all the tables related to Members, Reports, and so on. I believe Erwin can do this as well. When I used Oracle (quite a while ago), it was hit or miss what would end up on a page (sometimes tables [entities] ended up split across page boundaries). Also Oracle forced me to fall back on my kindergarten training ... print all the pages, then tape them together in a big picture. VEA can print to plotter-size paper. OK ... no big deal. Received on Wed Nov 27 2002 - 18:06:31 CET

Original text of this message