Re: Automatic Client Only Installations

From: M178046 <M178046_at_boeing.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:24:29 GMT

The Common Systems shares provide a standard Oracle client install if no existing client install exists. (Note: Common Systems will not overlay an existing Oracle install if the Oracle_Home in registry is not set to the Q: drive Oracle installs.)

These are the Oracle client runtime tool versions that are currently supported on the Common Systems shares:

Developer/2000 - Query Builder		2.5.4.6.0
Developer/2000 - Graphics			3.0.3.12.0
Developer/2000 - Reports			3.0.5.19.0
Developer/2000 - Forms			5.0.6.22.0
Oracle Query Builder				6.0.5.32.0
Oracle Graphics				6.0.8.10.1
Oracle Reports					6.0.8.10.1
Oracle Forms					6.0.8.10.3

An effort is underway to bring the latest versions of the Oracle Tool products up-to-date on both the Runtime and Development sides of the Q drive. This upgrade includes:

Oracle Developer 6i
Oracle Discoverer 3.1
Oracle Discoverer 4.1(latest version)
Oracle 8i Client
Oracle Jinitiator 1.1.8.3

For a more complete description of Common Systems, go to http://ams-is.web.boeing.com/organizations/d475/Tools/oracle/forum/oracle_forum.htm and view the "Q: Drive : What is it? (PowerPoint file)" and the "Commons Systems FAQ" documents.

How do you install Common Systems onto your desktop?

Pre-Installation Tasks:

  1. Delete your existing CSL Shortcut on the desktop. (Note: Difference between a Shortcut (with the Arrow) and the ICON (no Arrow))
  2. Exit all open applications prior to executing the installation.

Installation Tasks:

For Windows 2000 desktops supported by Software Express, a Software Express package is available. This Common Systems package can be found on Software Express at: SSG Software -> BPS -> User Installed BPS. For SSG and CA Puget Sound users, this would be the preferred installation. Otherwise follow these steps which require administrative rights to execute ...

  1. Using your mouse, highlight the following line:

    \\FIL-STL-53\COMMSYS\COMMSYS\APP\SETUP32\COMMSYS.EXE Once the line is highlighted, using the right mouse button, select the copy command. This will place it in your clipboard to be used in the following step.

2. Next using your mouse, click on the "START" button, and then select "RUN". Paste the line that you copied above into the space that reads "Open" and click on "Ok".

3. Once the Install Program has completed, you will need to reboot your computer

The install program will complete rather quickly. After install is complete, click OK at the prompt to restart the computer.

Post-Installation Tasks:

  1. After the reboot and during the login process you will be presented with the "Common Systems - Site Identification" dialog box to select your site. From the pull-down menu please select the appropriate site for your location. (Note: For most of you, this should be (change to the specific site). This dialog will only be presented once on the initial reboot after the install. Once the login sequence has completed you should have a Q: drive mapped and a Common System Icon on your Desktop. The CSL Icon on your desktop should not be a shortcut, but an ICON without the arrow.)
  2. Double click the CSL Icon for access to the applications. You can configure which buttons and the order in which they appear on the Common Systems Menu by selecting the configuration button in the lower left of the CSL Menu panel.
  3. To verify the login script execution, there will be a commsys.log file in your temp folder that corresponds to the time of your login. The quickest way to verify this file is to ... Press start, select run, enter %temp% and press enter. There should be a commsys.log file in the list.
  4. The CSL Icon maybe removed from the desktop by executing Remove_CSL_Icon.EXE from the \Commsys\App\Setup32 folder on the Q: drive.