Re: Get list of databases

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:01:33 +1100

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3DDD6BD6.CA4FE53B_at_exesolutions.com...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
>
> > [Snip]
> > > The original posting did NOT specify which Oracle versions the person
was
> > > using. I have clients still using Oracle 7.3.4 in production! My
> > > suggestion of ONAMES would support 7.3.4 through 9i database services,
as
> > > the original poster might be using these database versions.
> > >
> > [big snip]
> >
> > I missed what this is all about, but I don't think there's any need to
feel
> > in any way defensive about your recommendation to use Names. I still do,
> > too. It's fully supported in 9i, and is a darned site easier to set up
than
> > OiD.
> >
> > Names was scheduled to be pulled from 9i (as I understand it) but (as I
also
> > understand it) they ducked doing that because the market's just not
ready to
> > make the move to LDAP-compliant (or should that be LDAP-complicated?)
> > equivalents yet. The fact that it's still there in 9i, bold as brass,
should
> > tell you (and everyone else) something: it still works, it's still a
> > recommendable solution.
> >
> > You did nothing wrong in recommending it, in other words.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
>
> I heard it was gone from 10i? Can you confirm or deny?

[Quoted] No, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did the disappearing act. On the other [Quoted] hadn, 10i won't be out until at least another 6 months or so, and won't be a [Quoted] stable release 2 until sometime after that either (I'm guessing here, just [Quoted] in case anyone's wondering). So names server is at least good for another 12 months or more.

Regards
HJR