Re: hotel booking database

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:45:51 GMT

Gaz wrote:
> Ok the situation is this i have to create a backend database in oracle
> and a front end in visual basic 6. The database is an hotel booking
> system. Basically you have a customer who can be linked to a company.
> this customer can book a room in which there are three choices in
> which the customer can be billed. THe customer can be billed, the
> company who they work for can be billed or another alternative address
> can be billed. What i am trying to do is to be able to set up a
> billing table that would enable me to set who is being billed but also
> to be able to push a button in my front end and the customers invoice
> for their stay can be printed out which has to display the billing
> address.
>
> Has anyone every built a system for a hotel or a similar kind of
> thing.
>
> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
>
> CHEERS
Your main table is a CUSTOMERS table. It contains a group of "bill to" columns (eg, name, address, type [credit card,etc], and other stuff you care to include). The hotel clerk has to fill in these fields when the customer makes a reservation or checks in without a reservation. You don't want to create a COMPANIES table (I don't think) unless you want to keep track of all the companies in the world who might send an employee to your hotel.

When you press your button, you'll reference the CUSTOMERS table plus a TRANSACTIONS table (that has a foreign key to the CUSTOMERS table).

Depending on other complications, you might need more tables. Received on Thu Nov 21 2002 - 23:45:51 CET

Original text of this message