Re: Get list of databases

From: Bert Bear <bertbear_at_NOSPAMbertbear.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:53:45 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3DDD1A36.97B944CA_at_exesolutions.com...
> Bert Bear wrote:
>
> > Karsten,
> >
> > As for LDAP .vs. ONAMES, he needs a solution today (not someday over the
> > rainbow).
> >
> > As for problems parsing the ONAMES configuration file, the nice thing is
> > there would be only one file to parse (e.g. don't have the problem or
> > sometimes being qualified and sometimes not, some use SERVICE_NAME and
some
> > don't, etc.). There would be consistency within the file (as OEM/ONAMES
> > writes/builds the file (not a person - normally).
> >
> > As for a consultant, he should get an Oracle consultant. If it was me,
> > great. If it is you, great. If it is someone else, great. The bottom
line
> > is he needs someone who knows Oracle and the web (e.g. generating
HTML/XHTML
> > code from a program, doing CGI/SSI code, etc.).
> >
> > Bertram Moshier
> > Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA
> >
> > http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram
> >
> > "Karsten Farrell" <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message
> > > However, you can have a similar problem with ONAMES. You can have
> > > multiple net service names there as well. Besides, there are some
white
> > > papers at Oracle that say ONAMES is going away, to be replaced by
> > > LDAP-style naming. Of course, since ONAMES is still in 9i, maybe those
> > > Oracle employees didn't know what they were talking about.
> > >
> > > Did you suggest he get *an* Oracle consultant ... or one named
Bertram? ;)

ONAMES
> > company

> > multiple

> > the

> > instance/SID

> > file

Oracle

> > database

> > Oracle

SERVICE_NAMES

Oracle8i

> Forget ONAMES. Oracle has already announced its demise.
>
> Daniel Morgan

Daniel,

OID (LDAP) isn't the end all to be all - YET! A couple of points:

  1. A client can't use it concurrently with many of the previous Oracle versions (7.3.4, 8.0.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7, etc.) I point you to:

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_datab ase_id=FOR&p_id=83157.996

where it says, in part:

>5. Can OID be used concurrently with 7.3.4, 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 databases?

> According to the certification matrix, which you can access on MetaLink
> under Product Lifecycle, OID does not work concurrently with different
> database versions on the platforms you specified. On Sun SPARC
> Solaris 2.6, OID 2.1.1 is certified with 8.1.7, and OID 2.0.6 is certified
> with 8.1.6. On IBM Dynix 4.4.6, OID 2.0.6 is certified with 8.1.6. Older
> pre-LDAP clients will continue to rely on some pre-LDAP name-lookup
> (onames, tnsnames, etc).

[Quoted] [Quoted] The original posting did NOT specify which Oracle versions the person was using. I have clients still using Oracle 7.3.4 in production! My suggestion of ONAMES would support 7.3.4 through 9i database services, as [Quoted] the original poster might be using these database versions.

The above document (83157.996) also goes on to state:

> Depending on the scale of your Oracle Names implementation (how far
> along you are) and other timing factors, you may want to begin with
> ONames and migrate to LDAP." While I'm not trying to get off the
> hook of missing the ONAMES desupport notice, clearly for those
> using Oracle 9i and below ONAMES has value (especially for those
> starting out and can later migrate to LDAP).

Please notice the key sentences: "you may want to begin with ONames and [Quoted] [Quoted] migrate to LDAP." and "clearly for those using Oracle 9i and below ONAMES has value (especially for those starting out and can later migrate to LDAP)." Clearly, the original poster would be in this situation as his company is using Oracle 9i and below and can later migrate to LDAP.

> Along with the LDAP system, Oracle Names will provide compatibility
> features which will enable it to synchronize with the data in the OiD, and
> provide that data to pre-LDAP clients in the network. Deploying OID
> for NET8 is free of charge.

Please notice the key sentence: "Oracle Names will provide compatibility features which will enable it to synchronize with the data in the OiD, and provide that data to pre-LDAP clients in the network" As I read it, ONAMES still has a place (remembering the original posting didn't specify which Oracle database level and it might be 7.X).

To be honest, I missed the desupport notice for ONAMES, but I would still have recommended ONAMES to the original poster. While the mesage would have been different, my recommendation (unless all the databases are 9i, as one version of OID still doesn't cover all of 8X versions let along 7.X) would still be the same. I'm not a bleeding edge type of guy, unless the client desires bleeding edge!! I believe in inclusive solutions (not inclusive rates :-) ).

On the other hand, I didn't miss the desupport notice for Oracle 9i (http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_data base_id=NOT&p_id=190435.1). It is NOT going to stop me from using Oracle 9i, 8i, or even 7.3.4 on my OS/2 Warp server system. Hell, I have one client still using Oracle 7.3.4 (Windows/NT not OS/2 Warp Server)! The past is always around us.

Bertram Moshier
Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA

http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram Received on Thu Nov 21 2002 - 21:53:45 CET

Original text of this message