Re: RMAN online redo log restore issue

From: MePhi <mephi_at_w-sieci.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:46:51 +0100

Bart wrote:
> I'm trying to restore and recover my database from host-A to host-B.
> All host-A files are located on drive E: My host-B does not have a
> drive E:
> So I use rman "set newname" command to rename and relocated my
> datafiles to drive D: of host-B.
> Procedure (according to RMAN user guide):
> First I created a database with same name, sid and passwordfile on
> host-B. Second I copied the init.ora and the current control files
> from host-A to host-B. Then I started database on host-B. I selected
> th maximum SCN.
> Finally I started RMAN recovery.
>
> The restore process works perfect, but during recovery I received an
> error. The problem is that recovery could not recover the online redo
> log file "e:\oracle\.....\redo001.ora'.
> I understand that RMAN does not backup the online redo log files, but
> why is rman trying to recover them???
> The location is obvious, because it's in the control file that I'd
> copied from the host-A.
> How can I prevent rman from recovering the online redo log files? And
> if not, how can I change the location?
>
> Thanks,
> Bart

[Quoted] Hi Bart,

[Quoted] RMAN does not recover the REDO, RMAN creates REDO file during alter database open clause.

There was 2 solutions:
[Quoted] 1. On Windows tou may share the new REDO location and map as RMAN expected drive/location

2. You may user the ALTER DATABASE DROP LOFGILE GROUP and ALTER DATABASE ADD LOFILE .... in RMAN restore script before the ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS clause.

When you perform online backup with RMAN, the SCNs from first file to last are fuzzy. To prevent fuzzy state of datafiles, you may perform a cold RMAN backup in target database MOUNT mode. In that case RMAN dont make RECOVER, only RESTORE and ALTER DATABASE OPEN without RESETLOGS clause.

Best regards

Marcin Kwasninski Received on Thu Nov 21 2002 - 09:46:51 CET

Original text of this message