Re: sqlplus alternative

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_nospam.une.edu.au>
Date: 19 Nov 2002 08:49:12 +1100

"Johan den Boer" <me_at_me.nl> writes:

> Yes,
>
> But the output is a big mess on the screen
>
> "Pablo Sanchez" <pablo_at_dev.null> schreef in bericht
> > "Johan den Boer" <me_at_me.nl> wrote in news:ar7go0$bl4$1_at_news.hccnet.nl:
> >
> > > The best alternative for sqlplus
> > >
> > > [ snipped ]
> >
> > ... is to use SQL*Plus within Xemacs. I can run xemacs on Unix and
> > Windows. SQL*Plus is on Windows and Unix so I fail to see the benefit
> > of writing a tool when the tool is already out there - and as another
> > poster points out, is limited to Unix.

Personally, I don't have a problem with how it is displayed within Emacs/XEmacs - a lot depends on your settings i.e. wrapped/truncated lines, your sqlplus settings, your emacs settings etc.

I also remember seeing an additional module which was able to pass the html=ified output of sqlplus so that the output was formatted into html tables (thoug I've never needed to use this additional module).

The strongest point about the emacs/xemacs approach is that your free to write additional lisp to format the output in any way you like. For example, I use some additional functions in sql-mode which strip out the line numbering and other "uninteresting" output from sqlplus to help in the format of the data in my SQLi window.

I think the point is that emacs/xemacs provides a multi-platofrm environment which is both very powerful and more importantly can be configured to suit whatever your individual needs are.

Of course, if your the type of person who has become use to being able to dump great wads of data and then browse it with some sort of grid tool, perhaps its nto for you. Personally, I like to refine my sql so that I get the output I want in the format I want and containing only the data I want.

Tim Received on Mon Nov 18 2002 - 22:49:12 CET

Original text of this message