Re: Which table holds the view cols?

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:06:56 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:24:25 -0800, Praveen

[Quoted] >>Hi..All,

>>    When a user creates a table, all_tab_columns/user_tab_columns holds the
>>list of columns. When we create view, the all_views table hold only the text of
>>the view when it was generated. Which table holds the name of the columns of the
>>view?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>P/

> There simply is no such view.
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

The all_updatable_columns will show all view columns that can be updated (among other things). You can select from it, giving a view_name for the table_name column. If you look in ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql you'll see how the all_updatable_columns view is built (from underlying SYS tables). You could see if you can modify that select statement (it has hard-coded values that might change from version to version). Personally, I don't need to know ... so I have no desire to attack that select statement. Received on Fri Nov 15 2002 - 22:06:56 CET

Original text of this message