Re: A better SQL*Plus -- what features should it have?

From: Matthias Rogel <rogel_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:36:36 +0100

this gains me:

    [Quoted]
  1. I don't have to go to each client machine and look if their [Quoted] tnsnames.ora is set up correctly
  2. what I want to type in is
  3. HOST
  4. SID (it is not so hard to write a routine that builds up all the rest of it, if U wish, I can send U one, it even is able to count parens right !)
  5. I then *KNOW* on which Host and which SID I am (without looking into tnsnames.ora !!)

MaRo

By the way,

  1. Thin JDBC doesn't use tnsnames.ora either (well it does not use SQL*Net Client, so this is clear) Instead, it is easy to build the JDBC-Connect-String from the two parameters HOST and SID.
  2. Everytime I learn a new programming language, one of the first programs for me to write is an SQL-Client (The last one was Delphi, the one before Java, ...) I prefer to work with my own Clients instead of SQL*Plus; of course the Delphi-Client is a GUI. I don't need a prompt showing me on which database I am (resp. on which alias in tnsnames.ora), since on the top of my GUI I have
  3. DB-Vendor (might be, in this case Oracle or MS-SQL or Interbase)
  4. Host (where is Server running)
  5. Database (in case Oracle, this is what U call SID, well it is now called SERVICE_NAME by Oracle)
  6. Username

TurkBear wrote:
> This gains you what, exactly ?
>
> You would rather type something that like this:
>
> connect scott/tiger_at_(ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = myhost)(PORT = 1521)) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID =
> mysid))
>
> all the while counting parens to be sure they match,
>
> instead of
> connect scot/tiger_at_mydb
>

> Using tnsnames.ora ( unless it is very, very, very large does not impose any performance penalties, so why not use it?
>

> Matthias Rogel <rogel_at_web.de> wrote:

[Quoted] >>>I am developing a "better SQL*Plus". What features do you expect from a