Re: A better SQL*Plus -- what features should it have?

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 08:33:30 -0600

[Quoted] This gains you what, exactly ?

[Quoted] You would rather type something that like this:

connect scott/tiger_at_(ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = myhost)(PORT = 1521)) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = mysid))

all the while counting parens to be sure they match,

instead of
connect scot/tiger_at_mydb

Using tnsnames.ora ( unless it is very, very, very large does not impose any performance penalties, so why not use it?

Matthias Rogel <rogel_at_web.de> wrote:

>toolsguy wrote:
>> I am developing a "better SQL*Plus". What features do you expect from a
>> better SQL*Plus?
>>
>> Up-arrow to bring back commands from history is an obvious feature that
>> is sorely missing in SQL*Plus. What else?
>>
>avoid using tnsnames.ora
>
>i think it is undocumented but it worked from oracle 7 on (even earlier
>?? - since SQL*Net 2 - i don't know exactly) that u don't need a
>tnsnames.ora
>instead using the alias specified there u can use the right hand-side of
>it in a (single line) string
>
>mr

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Fri Nov 08 2002 - 15:33:30 CET

Original text of this message