Re: Autonumber ??

From: Michael Gast <mig-sm_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 18:14:30 +0100

Hi Gaz,

Gaz schrieb:
> I want to set mu customer_id column to an autonumber so when data is
> entered into the table the id is automatically set to a number.
> can anyone tell me how to edit my current table to acheive this

I assume you are coming from Access or SQL-Server. In Oracle you use sequences to produce numbers for different purposes, often for primary key values. In the MS world, generating a surrogate key is a property of a tables primary key column.

These different approaches heavily impacts your implementation. Brian gave you a good starting point in his answer. But you should also try to understand the underlying concepts.

--
All emails sent to this address are never read and never will be
answered. Sorry, but until someone cleans up the spam mess, that's the

E-Mails, die direkt an diese Adresse geschickt werden, lese und
beantworte ich nicht. Ich bedauere diesen Umstand sehr, kenne derzeit
aber keine bessere Möglichkeit, um die Spam-Flut abzustellen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Michael Gast
SEPP MED GmbH