Re: Need help with Loader???

From: Martin Doherty <martin.doherty_at_oracle.nospam.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 21:19:40 -0800

SQL*Loader is a batch load utility that comes supplied with every Oracle database server installation. I think in Unix, the program file name is sqlldr but don't quote me. It has been around for donkey's years, and allows you to do a batch load of many rows into multiple tables from ASCII text files. Simply, you create a control file to go with your data file and then run the sqlldr program with the control file name as a parameter. The control file specifies the data file name, and the table(s) to load data into, and the rules about which datum goes into which column. Fairly powerful, lots of options and data transformation abilities.

As per the advice from another poster in another newsgroup, check tahiti.oracle.com documentation for further info. Look for the Utilities manual.

Since your data is already in an Access table, you might be able to use an ODBC link and use SQL to copy your rows from Access to Oracle. Unfortunately I don't know anything more about how that would be done but you will probably find the answer if you search the Google archives of these oracle newsgroups. Which should always be your first action before posting new questions to the groups anyway (since the same questions get answered over and over and over and .... )

Martin Doherty