Re: Overuse of DB Resources

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:51:50 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Alek Voronov wrote:
>
> > any help on how SQL interface (SQL access from user or 3rd party
> > applications) can be protected against an overuse of the Oracle DB
> > Resources will be very appreciated!
> >
> > that is, we have Oracle DB and various users (or 3rd party apps) which
> > can access the DB via SQL. We have to limit these accesses to prevent
> > 100% CPU utilization, full memory using etc (what else?). any tools
> > available in Oracle to monitor system resources?
> >
> > Thanks, Alek.
>
> Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and put in the search criterion "Profile".
>
> You should set up profiles based upon classes of users and limit not just
> CPU utilization but other resources, logons, password expiration, password
> reuse, etc.
>
> Daniel Morgan

[Quoted] I agree. But he didn't ask for monitoring. Just the ability to "protect against overuse."

If you limit CPU utilization to safe levels ... there is no need to monitor [Quoted] anything other than the ensuing complaints from those that write Cartesian joins.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Nov 05 2002 - 17:51:50 CET

Original text of this message