Re: How to generate an array with user parameter form?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 21:31:54 GMT

Martin Doherty wrote:

> I think I understood the original question clearly enough. Mark just
> forgot to employ the amazing power of a good example to illustrate his
> problem.
>
> I believe the sort of parameter he means is where the user is allowed to
> select N distinct and discontiguous values from a list of available
> values e.g. from a list of car models
> [ ] Chrysler
> [ ] Dodge
> [ ] Buick
> [ ] Toyota
> [ ] Nissan
>
> the user can select Buick and Nissan only, then receive a report about
> just the requested models. The difficulty is that the user may choose
> any number of data points, from 0 to the whole list, which doesn't fit
> nicely into the traditional user parameter form that has
> parameter1 = value1
> parameter2 = value2
> parameter3 = value3
> etc.
> and providing a fixed list of parameters will always impact flexibility
> e.g. provide 10 parameters, each one based on the same list, and allow
> the user to select up to 10 separate values - not much good for the user
> who needs data on 11 cars (has to run the report twice and combine the
> results somehow).
>
> Thus the question about generating an array to hold N values. Oracle
> Discoverer has always been able to handle this type of parameter
> beautifully. Speaking from a Forms 4.5/Reports 2.5 perspective, this
> wasn't supported in the report parameter form and would have needed a
> form module and a table to support the requirement. Anyone know if the
> situation has changed in newer versions?
>
> Martin Doherty
>
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> >Mark Burns wrote:

> >>I didn't specify the problem in enough detail. The lists that the user
> >>selects from do not have sequential values. The user will be choosing
> >>from lists of models, so the between is meaningless in this context.
> >>
> >>Mark
> >>

> >If your original posting was lacking in clarity ... it didn't seem to be ... your clarification is so
> >obscure I can't even pretend to understand what you are trying to do.
> >
> >I would be happy to help you ... but your attempted clarification is undecipherable.
> >
> >Daniel Morgan

Then one solution is native dynamic SQL executed in the back-end as part of a package loading a table connected to the form.

Pass back the parameters as a string, parse in a loop, and build a WHERE clause on the fly.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Nov 01 2002 - 22:31:54 CET

Original text of this message