Re: How to generate an array with user parameter form?

From: Martin Doherty <martin.doherty_at_oracle.nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 11:21:39 -0800

[Quoted] [Quoted] I think I understood the original question clearly enough. Mark just forgot to employ the amazing power of a good example to illustrate his problem.

I believe the sort of parameter he means is where the user is allowed to select N distinct and discontiguous values from a list of available values e.g. from a list of car models

[  ] Chrysler
[  ] Dodge
[  ] Buick
[  ] Toyota
[  ] Nissan

the user can select Buick and Nissan only, then receive a report about just the requested models. The difficulty is that the user may choose any number of data points, from 0 to the whole list, which doesn't fit nicely into the traditional user parameter form that has

parameter1 = value1
parameter2 = value2
parameter3 = value3

etc.
and providing a fixed list of parameters will always impact flexibility e.g. provide 10 parameters, each one based on the same list, and allow the user to select up to 10 separate values - not much good for the user who needs data on 11 cars (has to run the report twice and combine the results somehow).

Thus the question about generating an array to hold N values. Oracle Discoverer has always been able to handle this type of parameter beautifully. Speaking from a Forms 4.5/Reports 2.5 perspective, this wasn't supported in the report parameter form and would have needed a form module and a table to support the requirement. Anyone know if the situation has changed in newer versions?

Martin Doherty