Re: Seeing non-ASCII character data from SQL Plus

From: Michael Scott <michael.scott_at_kalido.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2002 08:11:48 -0800

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<urs8impq4bjqaf_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> Michael,
>
> Apart from the suggestions by other poster ....
>
> Don't know if this would work for you .. but try this:
> Download putty:
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
> set translation (in connection properties) to UTF8.
> then set NLS_LANG to UTF8 ...
> and then try viewing the data using sqlplus .. normal select .. etc.
>
> Of course there are other telnet clients you could download .. putty
> just came to my mind, because I use it often.
> If you are already using a UTF8 db charset ... why would you not put
> the data in just varchar2?
>
> hope this helps ..
>
> Anurag
>
> "Michael Scott" <michael.scott_at_kalido.com> wrote in message news:7ef33999.0210281010.396d2400_at_posting.google.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I've got an Oracle 9.2.0 database setup with UTF8 as the database
> > character set. I've managed to get some japanese character data into
> > one of our tables which uses an nvarchar2 column datatype; I've also
> > managed to create a table whose name includes japanese characters.
> > This I've done using a custom-built C++ application which has been
> > specifically built to handle Unicode character data and uses the OCI
> > in Unicode-mode. What I want to be able to do is see this
> > extended-character set data via another tool.
> >
> > So, my question is: how do I configure either SQL plus or SQL Plus
> > worksheet to see this character data correctly formatted? Enterprise
> > manager will show me the japanese table name correctly, but what about
> > seeing the japanese characters from a select statement via SQL plus?
> > All I get at present is junk data when I select from the table
> > containing the japanese text data. Are these tools (and TOAD is no
> > better) fundamentally not capable of displaying multi-byte character
> > sets? Is there a better tool for this kind of thing?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Michael

Thanks for both previous posts, iSQLplus does the job perfectly. No matter how I configured my NLS_LANG and ORA_NLS33 variables on my machine and database (WinXP which is also acting as the database server) I could not make SQL plus/SQL plus worksheet or TOAD display the extended characters that were present in my UTF-8 encoded Oracle instance.

As an aside - we use nvarchar2 in our unicode databases to give us the flexibility to store text data in UTF-16 (AL16UTF16 national character set in oracle speak) as well as just UTF8, if so desired by end users when installing our product on top of on Oracle database. Storage vs speed tradeoff for unicode text data.

Regards
Michael Received on Tue Oct 29 2002 - 17:11:48 CET

Original text of this message