Re: Developer runtime

From: David Schmoldt <David.Schmoldt_at_GazetteCommunications.com>
Date: 28 Oct 2002 14:37:39 -0800

We've been running all our Forms/Reports users from a network runtime install for years and there is no apparent slowdown. I'm sure there's a little overhead when the FMXs, PLLs, DLLs are first initiated, etc., but it's not noticeable to the average user. If you had users accessing through dialup lines there could be issues.

Oracle doesn't officially support this option. They say the standard client runtime install will also update some system DLLs on the client machine, and when you use a network runtime, there's no way to be sure the client machine has the current DLLs that the network runtime is expecting. In theory, I can see that being a problem. But in reality, we've been running in a mixed client environment that includes Win95, Win98, WinNT and Win2000, plus some Macs using Virtual PC, all using the same Oracle runtime network install, and have never run into the incompatible system files issue.

We also set up batch files that updates the user's registry settings to point to the network install, and copies the form icon to their desktop from a network location. We rarely have to visit an individual PC anymore. All that's on a user machine is a one-time registry update to set the Oracle paths and the icon pointing to the FMX up on the network. The user's Oracle Home is also on the network so there's only one TNSName.ora to maintain.

New forms patch to install? Just upgrade the runtime on the network and all the clients will see it the next time they run a form. Same for updating PLLs, FMXs, etc.

Dave